The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and National Research Foundation Singapore (NRF) are investing close to S$70 million to future-proof Singapore’s communications and connectivity capabilities, through the launch of the Future Communications Research and Development Programme (FCP).
The four-year programme will strengthen Singapore’s 5G ecosystem and accelerate the research and translation of future communication technologies. Hosted by the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), the programme comprises:
- Development of Future Communications Connectivity Lab at SUTD and Future Communications Translation Lab at SIT
- Grant calls for R&D and translation of future communications technologies
- Support for local talent pursuing research in communications and connectivity
- International Partnership for future communications technologies such as 6G
The FCP is supported under Singapore’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise (RIE) efforts, where Communications and Connectivity is one of the key technology focus areas in the Smart Nation and Digital Economy (SNDE) domain. The FCP will coordinate multidisciplinary research efforts across the RIE ecosystem, with Research Institutes (RIs), Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs) and other RIE efforts.
As host institution, SUTD will lead and collaborate with Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU), National University of Singapore (NUS), and Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).
The FCP will support AI and Cybersecurity research for the next-generation communications infrastructure, support innovative testbeds and provide scholarships for those who wish to pursue research work in the area of future communications. FCP will also look to build and strengthen international partnerships and collaborations across borders.
 Translational research seeks to produce more meaningful, applicable results. Translation refers to the development of research ideas into market-ready solutions”
- SUTD selected as one of NTIA’s Institute for Telecommunication Sciences and Department of Defense 2024 RIC Forum PresentersWe are proud to share that SUTD has been selected as one of the 10 main presenters by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s (NTIA) Institute for Telecommunication Sciences (ITS), … Continue reading SUTD selected as one of NTIA’s Institute for Telecommunication Sciences and Department of Defense 2024 RIC Forum Presenters
- A novel framework for smooth avatar-user synchronization in the metaverseMobile phones, smartwatches and earbuds are some gadgets that we carry around without much thought. The increasingly digitized world sees a shrinking gap between human and technology, and many researchers … Continue reading A novel framework for smooth avatar-user synchronization in the metaverse
- 1st Global OTIC Summit 2023To strengthen the collaboration among Open Testing and Integration Centres (OTICs) around the world and provide a platform for exchange of ideas among members of the global Open ORAN ecosystems, … Continue reading 1st Global OTIC Summit 2023